Friday, May 6, 2011

Well, heck...it's time...

to fess up. My fortieth birthday came and went with a whimper instead of a bang. Needless to say, I did NOT reach my goal by the big day as I'd intended. I surely would have been here, tooting my own virtual horn and posting TONS OF PICTURES, if I'd made it.

Instead, for the past few months, I've been tumbling down the hill of my food addiction...gathering speed and mass along the way. I don't know if snowballs do that in reality (they certainly do in cartoons!)...but that's me right now. I am the tumbling snowball.

Every snowball needs a push to get moving down the hill. There are things that are appropriate to share in this forum and things that aren't. The thing that pushed me is one of the things that isn't appropriate to share. Suffice it to say that the best piece of advice I received recently came from my brother. It was a reminder that when an airplane loses cabin pressure, the parents are supposed to put on their own oxygen masks BEFORE helping their kids with theirs. Such a thing is easier said than done.

It's taken me a couple of months to realize that I'd really better get my mask in place before I run out of air. While my addiction would prefer to respond to stress by sitting on the couch, lost in "reality" television, mindlessly shoving whatever is handy down my throat, it's time for my MIND and my BODY to take charge again.

If I had stayed on track, I'd be back in my size 4 jeans by now. Instead, I'm busting out of the 14s! I know it could be worse, but it's a slap in the face for certain. Eating crap and not getting to the gym does NOT make me feel good...mentally or physically. I NEED to feel good about myself in order to help those around me.

The snowball can't stop its tumbling descent down the hill on its own. It either reaches the bottom or crashes into an obstacle that blocks its path. I'm lucky enough to be more mindful (at least some days!) than a snowball. I can put on the brakes and stop my own fall. I'm also blessed enough to have friends and family that are more than willing to reach out and catch me on the way down.

The climb back up begins now.

Climbing burns calories and tightens up those booty muscles too...so it's definitely a win-win for me and a lose-lose for Ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment